Whether you are hosting a child’s birthday party, a graduation party, or a Bar Mitzvah, wowing your party guests begins long before the party starts. If you want to have your party guests wowed when they walk through the door and talking when they l eave, follow these 5 wow-worthy tips:
1) Invitations, Invitations, Invitations
The impression people will have when they walk through the doors the day of your event is created when you send out the all-important invite. Whether it is fun with flair, formal, or even an E-vite, the invitation sets the tone for what guests will walk in expecting the day of the event. While it is not necessary to spend a fortune on invitations, it is crucial to remember these tips:
- High-quality invitations are the most basic ingredient for a successful event. Your invitation sets the style, theme, and flavor of your party.
- You do not need to use a calligrapher or personally handwrite each invitation (who has the time to do that, anyway?), but you should use a font that looks interesting, fun and appealing.
- Be aware of the difference between “custom” invitations and template-based invitations that are customizable. The price difference will vary drastically depending on the paper choice, the preferred style, and the amount of detail put into creating the invitation.
2) Let them Drink!
This is our rule for serving alcohol to adults at posh children’s parties: If the celebration is for a child under 12, alcohol is optional. We respect the parent’s decision to include alcohol at any party because, truth be told, adults want to enjoy themselves too. But if the child being celebrated is over 12 years of age, we say go for it! There is nothing wrong with entertaining the adults at a child’s party. Who said kid’s parties have to be ALL about the kids?!
For adults, we recommend a signature cocktail, such as the classic of classic cocktails, the Martini. If you are looking for a twist, add a splash of pomegranate juice or select something fruity, like an Appletini. For children, we recommend featuring an all-natural Italian flavored soda or a fun and colorful mocktail.
3) Capture guests with Color
Choosing a color scheme for a child’s special event celebration may be more important than most people think. And while brown and yellow may sound wonderful for a festive fall bash, remember, the color scheme will extend to decorations, the cake, favors or swag bags, floral arrangements, table linens, and of course, the invitations. Choose colors you love, but also consider the following:
- Let the season influence your color scheme. Spring and summer colors tend to be lighter, while fall and winter colors are generally darker and warmer.
- Vibrant colors are ideal for children’s parties, they add flair and energy and drama (the good kind, of course!).
- Choose colors that complement the setting. Consider the carpeting, drapery and décor in your venue or home.
- Spruce things up with fresh flowers in your chosen color, and do not be afraid to add complementary colors to the mix.
4) Keep a Hostess’s Assistant at hand
Your child’s special day should be magical for all of your guests, and that includes you! It will be impossible to babysit all of the children at the party, entertain and mingle with all of the adult guests, keep watch on personal belongings throughout your house (if the party is in your home), and have time to take a breath, much less time to enjoy the ambiance at the party. Solve that problem with an assistant. Every hostess needs someone to refill their glass, make sure things are in order, and ensure that everyone, including yourself, is having a great time.
5) Step up the Entertainment
Adults and children alike want to be entertained when they attend a kid’s party in Los Angeles or Orange County. In the land of glamour, sophistication, and wealth, expectations are high. The last thing you want to avoid is having a beautifully decorated party that is boring.
When people receive word of your party plans, they feel curious, anticipation, and excitement. Then come party day, no entertainment? No way! Don’t let that happen to you. While it is true that your party theme will somewhat limit your entertainment options, it is not true that there has to be a lack of aw-inspiring entertainment at your child’s event.
Some of our favorite entertainment acts include:
- Aerial acrobatics
- Live music by a band or disc jockey and a dance floor to dance the night away on
- Live animals at a petting zoo and pony rides
- Concession stand food machines: it’s yummy and there is an entertainment value in standing in line and watching your favorite treats be prepared (besides, adults and children love good old American comfort foods like hot dogs, snow cones, and cotton candy)
- Themed character appearances
- Spa services for the little princesses
- Magicians that involve the children as participants in their show.